Thursday 13 June 2013

Daikon Steak (Japanese Radish)

Radishes are a nutrient rich root vegetable that is often overlooked because of it's bitter flavour. I love daikon radish but never really knew how to cook it. My friend Faith who lives in Japan gave me this wonderful recipe. I served with Japanese plum wine...yummy!



Daikon Steak

Ingredients

1 Daikon radish, peeled and sliced into 1.5cm rounds
Oil for frying
1 Tbls soy sauce (I used tamari)
1 Tbls mirin (or 1/2 Tbls rice vinegar + 1/2 Tbls agave)
Shiso leaf (Japanese basil) (optional for garnish)

Method

Put daikon pieces in a bowl in the microwave with cling wrap to steam the daikon for about 3 minutes, or use a steamer for 10-15mins.
Then in a frying pan brown each side of steamed daikon in oil, when it is lightly brown on each side you remove daikon to plate.



Make a sauce with soy and mirin ( sweet Japanese cooking wine) and pour over daikon or keep in a bowl for dipping.
If you want more sauce just use equal amounts of ingredients.
Garnish with shiso leaf.


Daikon Radish


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!