Tuesday 30 April 2013

Satay Tempeh

This satay sauce you could use as a dipping sauce or with your favourite vegan stirfries and skewers.
I served with carrots, broccoli, eggplant and fried green onions because I wanted to use up all the vegetables in my fridge.  The broccoli and carrots I steamed and the eggplant I cut into cubes and  baked in a thin layer of oil at 375F for 20mins. This is a mixture of recipes from Chipped Bowl and Nigella Lawson's blogs.



Satay Tempeh

Ingredients

Marinade;
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used tamari)
2 Tbs  toasted sesame oil
1½ tsp grated fresh ginger
1x 8 oz package tempeh, drained and cut into chunks

Satay Sauce;
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbs. tahini (I used sunflower paste)
2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbs. chilli sauce (I used Sambal Oelek but you could use Sriracha sauce or fresh diced chillies)
2/3 cup water
1 Tbls agave syrup (you could use vegan sugar)
1/2 cup coconut milk


Method

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger in resealable plastic bag or or container.
Add tempeh and coat in marinade. Refrigerate 1 hour, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Place tempeh on prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 mins (flipping after 10 minutes), or until tempeh is browned and firm.


To make the sauce blend all ingredients except water and coconut milk in blender until smooth.
Once smooth add in water and blend again.
Once tempeh is ready (and any other vegetables that you are using are ready) place sauce in a medium saucepan and heat on a low setting.



Whisk in the coconut milk and once heated through serve with tempeh and vegetables over steamed jasmine rice.



NB: As my friend who lives in Japan pointed out to me, you can't buy tempeh in all countries. In this case you can easily use extra firm tofu. Just make sure to press tofu properly before marinading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!