Monday 18 February 2013

Nacho Cheese Dip

This dip is a nacho flavoured cheese dip using Maple Spice's Homemade Cheese Slice recipe and mixed with salsa. If you have some of the slices made up already (even if frozen) just melt in the pan with the salsa.



Nacho Cheese Dip


Ingredients

30g vegan butter (2 Tbsp) I used Nuttalex.
30g plain GF flour (3 Tbsp)
1 cup unsweetened soy milk (240ml) - I used rice milk
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp tomato paste (puree).
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
1/2 sachet VegeSet (12g)
1 jar salsa


Method

Place the nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder in a mortar and pestle and grind until the yeast is a fine powder (I just used a blender). Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the flour and vege-gel.

In another bowl whisk together the soy milk and tomato paste until the paste dissolves. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk really well until no lumps appear.

In a small saucepan add the vegan butter then pour over the mixture. Turn the heat to medium-high (I used my smallest element on high heat) and whisk all the while until the butter melts and incorporates into the mixture. Keep whisking until the mixture thickens and changes from a somewhat nothing colour to a vibrant orange. You can now change to a wooden spoon and keep stirring until nice and thick. It took 3 minutes for mine to get the the wooden spoon stage and another 3 minutes of simmering once thick. I kept the heat on high but again, I used my smallest element here.

Add in the salsa and transfer to serving bowl. Serve with corn chips or pour over nachos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!