Wednesday 28 December 2011

Bean Sausages

I was dubious about these at first because they wanted "gluten flour" but I substituted and they turned out great! No where near as fiddly as I was expecting. I got the original recipe from Where's the Beef? blog.



Bean Sausages
(this made around 16)

Ingredients

435g can refried beans (I used the one with chilli)
2 teaspoons gravy powder (I used Organ Gravy Powder)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cups gluten free gluten powder (I used Orgran)
1 cup plain flour
1 cup chickpea flour (besan flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder (I used onion flakes)
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (you can substitute to another chilli sauce that has not gluten such as Nando's Peri Peri Sauce or Sambal Oelek)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (I used celery salt)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 cup water


Method

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, adding the water last to form an almost sloppy dough.


Prepare some pieces of aluminium foil for wrapping.
Take around a 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time and shape them into sausages.


Place each sausage on a small square of the foil, rolling it to cover and folding over or twisting the ends.


Steam the sausages for 30 minutes (15mins on each side). I used a rice maker for this but you can steam on the stove by boiling water in a saucepan and adding foiled sausages to a colander which sits above the steam.


Once cooled you can remove from foil. They should be firm, if not steam for another 10 minutes.
You can refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
When ready to use fry the sausages up in a little oil until they have a golden crispy exterior.

2 comments:

  1. I don't use aluminum because of the health risks it poses..... is there a different way to make these amazing, tasty-looking sausages?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question,I'm not really sure that there are any good alternatives...maybe baking or parchment paper?
    I know there is a health risk associated with boiling things in aluminum pots but I didn't realize there was any risk with foil...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to message me!