Sunday 11 December 2011

Cinnamon Christmas Cookies

I've been trying to recreate a Hungarian cinnamon cookie that my Grandmother used to make so I've been trying out a bunch of recipes. I think these are Norwegian and are different from my Grandmother's but are still very good. Everyone at the office loved them and probably didn't even realise they were vegan he he.



Cinnamon Christmas Cookies

Ingredients

200g vegan margarine (I used Nuttalex)
200g caster sugar
300g plain flour
2 Tbls golden syrup
3 heaped tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
Vanilla sugar/nuts etc (optional for topping, I used vanilla sugar)


Method

Preheat over to 180°C and cover cookie trays with baking paper.
In a  mixing bowl cream the margarine and sugar with electric beaters.
Add golden syrup, cinnamon and baking soda and mix through.
With a spoon fold in the flour until cookie dough is mixed.
With your hands roll into a large ball and leave in the bowl and refrigerate
 for 30mins - 1 hour.
Once hardened take out of fridge and roll 1/4 of mixture out on a floured surface. It's quite a sticky mixture so make sure you flour your roller, surface and top of the dough.
Roll as thick as you like, they won't rise very much.
Use your cookie cutters to make shapes, pressing firmly.
Use a spatula to gently lift cookies onto tray. Sprinkle toping onto cookies.
Bake in over for 10 -15mins then lift baking paper with cookies onto cooling racks.
You may need to do a few batches.
They are very soft when they first come out so wait until they cool before touching them.

2 comments:

  1. I love ninja vegan baked goods!

    And these are now on my (very long) 'to bake' list :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - they are very good and very easy.
    I took them to the office and there were none left to take home to boyf! So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to message me!