Tuesday 22 November 2011

White Bean & Chick Pea Chilli

I got this recipe from My Vegan Cookbook blog and it's also low fat. As you may have noticed from my past blogs, that isn't really important to me but I thought I'd mention it for all the health conscious out there!
I changed a couple of the spices because I didn't have them. Original recipe here.
Pictured here with home made croutons, yummy.


White Bean & Chickpea Chilli

Ingredients

400g Great Northern Beans (or Cannellini Beans), washed and soaked for at least 24 hours
1 can Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
6 Cups Water
2 Cups Frozen Corn Kernels
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
2 Teaspoon Ground Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Mexican Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
1/4 Cup Nutritional Food Yeast
1 cup Rice Milk
2 Tablespoons Arrow Root Powder Or Corn Starch
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Seasoning Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt


Method

Place soaked & rinsed beans/chickpeas in a large pot with the 6 cups of water and frozen corn. Bring to a boil.

In a skillet, saute onion and pepper with the canola oil until onions are transparent. Place this into the pot.

Now add liquid smoke, onion and garlic powder, lemon pepper, corriander, sugar, ancho chili powder, white or red chili powder and cumin.

His recipe says "Set crock pot for 4 hours" but I don't have one or the time so I let mine simmer covered, on medium for 1.5-2hours. 10 minutes before serving, place nutritional yeast, rice milk, arrow root, sugar and seasoning salt and salt into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place into the crock pot and stir together. Let cook another 10 minutes to thicken up the chili.

Serve with bread, rice, croutons or whatever you fancy. I got 5-6 main serves out of this just with croutons so I think with rice you could spread it out for more meals.

Note:  I thought this was a bit spicy and so would probably leave out the ground chilli next time. Having said my tolerance for spice is quite low.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!