Saturday 26 November 2011

Sushi Rolls (Nori Rolls & Boats)

Ok, so they are technically Nori Roll as sushi is raw fish on rice but they are better known as Sushi Rolls.
This is just a simple recipe and you can add whatever filling you like.



Tools: sushi rolling mat & rice boat makers.

Sushi Rolls


Ingredients

1 3/4 cup Sushi Rice
1 pk Nori sheets (you normally get around 10 sheets to a packet)
3 Tbls Sake or Rice Wine vinegar
7 1/2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp sea salt
Desired fillings (see bottom of page for suggestions)

For serving;
Soy sauce (I use Tamari)
Pickled Ginger
Wasabi paste


Method

Rinse rice 2-3 times before cooking.
I use a rice cooker because I'm lazy but if you're doing it on the stove just cook per instructions on the packet.
Mix sake, sugar annd salt together in a small saucepan and bring to boil melting the sugar. Allow to cool and and mix well into cooked rice.
Allow rice to cool before handling.
If you use a sushi mat to roll make sure you cover it in cling wrap first. I use my hands.
With slightly damp hands I take a sheet of nori (it usually has lines patterned across, make sure line is horizontal to you). I find it handy to have a bowl of water near by that I can keep dunking my fingers in.
Put some rice on the sheet at the end closest to you and pat down. Depending on how thick you want your roll, add more or less rice to each roll.


Add your first ingredient across the rice, don't over pack because it will fall apart.


Take the front peice of nori and roll, tucking it under as you go to make sure your roll is firm.


Once rolled all your sushi you can cut into pieces. Make sure you use a very sharp knife.



If you're making boats like these below, you fill up your rice boat container then pop them out and wrap a piece of nori paper around the outside, leaving space inside to fill with desired filling.



Fillings I like;

Fried Shiitake & Chilli Mayo


Flower Roll


Japanese Pickled Mushrooms


Teriyaki Tofu










No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!