Wednesday 3 August 2011

Caramel Slice

I got this recipe from http://www.veganeasy.org/ but I changed it to be gluten-free. This is a great recipe if you need to make something but have limited time at home because most of the time is spent in the fridge. I did half before my French class and half after.



Caramel Slice


Ingredients

1 cup GF plain flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour (or any other GF flour)
120g vegan margarine (for biscuit base)
50g caster sugar

1/2 cup Earth Balance
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk (full-fat, canned)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla

200g vegan chocolate (I used 1/2 dark & 1/2 white)

20 x 20cm tin (I used a disposable BBQ one because it's easier to get the slice out and there's no washing up)


Method

Add 120g margarine into the flour and rub to resemble breadcrumbs, then mixing in the sugar.
I found the mixture was too wet still so I ended up adding a bit more of both flours till I was happy.

Press this into a  and bake at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes (until golden brown).
Leave to cool.

For the caramel; in a large saucepan (must be large enough where your candy thermometer will not touch the bottom when you attach it to the pot), put the coconut milk, sugar, butter and corn syrup in a large saucepan.
Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil stirring continually.
Keep stirring. You want the candy to reach 250 degrees.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Pour over biscuit and put into freezer.

Once the filling has set, melt the chocolate in a double broiler and spread evenly over the caramel layer.
Leave in fridge for about 1 minute, then take out and cut the lines or full squares before the chocolate is fully set. A hot sharp knife works well.
Place back in the fridge and chill until completely set (around 20mins).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to message me!